Division 9 Flooring Renovates Historic Seattle Church, Epiphany.
Epiphany Church has been a place of worship in Seattle for over 100 years. It opened in 1907 and moved from a storefront in Madrona, to the Denny Blaine neighborhood, where it stands today. The women of the parish chose the name Epiphany. The church continued to grow and the chapel was built in 1911. It was designed by noted architect and parish member, Elsworth Storey. The chapel is considered an important part of Seattle history. In 1971, The Seattle chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Seattle Post Intelligencer named the chapel the most significant architecture in Seattle. It was named a Seattle Landmark in 1978.
Over the years, the church has expanded to include a parish hall with a stage and kitchen. A bigger church, a parish office and a school were built as well. The Denny Blaine neighborhood is multi cultural and the Epiphany Church has evolved over the years. In the 60’s and 70’s, tensions in the neighborhood were high. The church created many outreach programs for the community including a hunger task force, summer programs for kids and free counseling services for the congregation and neighborhood. In 1975, a fire damaged the sanctuary and chancel. The original appearance of the church was restored.
Another interesting piece of history connected to the Epiphany Church is the Reverend Dr. Laura Cameron Fraser. She came to the church as a deacon in 1977. She went on to become one of the first female priests in the nation and the first woman Episcopal Priest in the Pacific Northwest.
When it comes to the renovation of such an important piece of Seattle history, the project takes on an elevated sense of importance. Division 9 Flooring was invited to be a part of the project. Flooring is important. But in a house of worship, it’s vital.